What Happens if My Ex Isn’t Following Parenting Time Orders?

Little girl smiling hugging her father

What is Parenting Time?

It’s important to know the difference between a custodial parent and a non-custodial parent to understand how parenting time works.

  • Custodial parent - The parent who has primary physical custody and provides the primary home for the child. In the case of joint custody, the court may designate one parent as the child’s custodial parent.
  • Non-custodial parent - The parent that does not have primary physical custody and the child does not live with them most of the time.

In Michigan, parenting time refers to the time each parent spends with their children. Parenting time is outlined in a court order facilitated by a “parenting coordinator” to help implement the parenting time orders and resolve parenting disputes. When one spouse isn’t following the parenting time order, there are several options to resolve the issue. Read on to learn how to get the process of enforcing a parenting time order started.

How Can I Enforce Parenting Time Orders?

In Michigan, if your ex-spouse isn’t following parenting time orders, here are some tips:

Communicate with Your Ex-Spouse

First, before considering legal action, try speaking with your ex-spouse to try and get to the root of the problem. Life happens, and sometimes temporary situations make it challenging to stick to schedules. If you can’t resolve the conflict on your own, and your ex-spouse is deliberately disobeying the order, you have legal options when it comes to enforcing parenting time orders.

Get Legal Assistance

Getting legal help can assist you in enforcing the parenting time order. You can get the process started with these two options:

  • Contact the Friend of the Court with a written complaint and request an enforcement action.
  • File a motion and ask the court to enforce the parenting time order. While this can be done on your own, it’s best to seek the help of an experienced attorney when it comes to legal matters of child custody and parenting time.

Need Help With Parenting Time Orders? We Are Here For You.

It can be unbelievably frustrating when one parent doesn’t follow the parenting time orders outlined in a custody agreement. While schedules can change from time to time as life happens, when it’s consistently a problem, you may need to take legal action — and we are here to help.

Contact Grewal Law PLLC at (888) 211-5798 to schedule a free consultation today.

Related Posts
  • Discovering Marital Assets, Debts & Money During Divorce Read More
  • How Does Legal Marijuana Use Affect Custody and Parenting Time? Read More
  • How to Get Through a Gray Divorce and Its Financial Impacts Read More