Understanding the Prevalence of College Campus Sexual Assault
Sadly, sexual assault and violence on college campuses is a widespread problem. According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), 13% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation. The following statistics illustrate the prevalence of sexual assault among college students and that there is still much work ahead in ending sexual violence on campus.
Campus Sexual Assault Statistics
- Undergraduates: 26.4% of women and 6.8% of men experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation.
- 1 in 5 college-aged women survivors receives assistance from a victim services agency.
- 23.1% of transgender, genderqueer, nonconforming college students have been sexually assaulted.
- Over 50% of college assaults occur from August through November.
- Students are at the highest risk during the first few months of their first and second college semesters.
Contact Grewal Law PLLC For A Confidential Consultation
Many people do not realize that besides criminal action, they can take civil action against the perpetrator or another responsible party in a sexual assault case. A sexual assault claim can help survivors receive compensation for medical bills, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
We believe you understand how painful it can be to share your story and the courage it takes to speak out against your perpetrator. Contact our sexual abuse and assault injury lawyers to help you navigate the legal process of filing a civil claim against the liable party.
Call Grewal Law PLLC at (888) 211-5798 to schedule a consultation.