White Collar Criminal Defense Attorneys in Michigan
Helping Clients Facing Fraud Charges in Michigan
“White collar crime” is a blanket term that encompasses a diverse range of criminal charges, although it mainly applies to complex financial crimes, such as fraud, embezzlement, or identity theft. In Michigan, white collar crime charges are extremely serious, and if convicted of one of these crimes, you could face serious financial penalties and prison time. Whether you’ve been entrusted to handle someone’s finances, records, or personal information, it’s possible for those who suffer financial losses to turn the blame around on you, and claim that you are engaging in fraud. Sometimes, individuals in charge of these matters may not even realize their actions are against the law.
Despite the fact white collar crimes are not violent in nature, the public views these crimes with intense suspicion and ingrained bias, as they typically involve some kind of alleged deception or betrayal. This means that if you’re accused of fraud or another financial crime, you may suffer serious blows to your reputation as well as your future. Being accused of these crimes can turn your world upside down – and you need the support of a strong legal defense team to help you throughout the entire process.
Contact our Michigan white collar crime attorneys right away at (888) 211-5798 or submit our online contact form. We offer free and confidential consultations.
Do Not Say Anything Without Legal Representation On Your Side
Before formal charges are brought against you, it is imperative to gain legal counsel during any investigation of possible wrongdoing. With over 100 years of experience, our criminal defense team at Grewal Law PLLC will work to cast doubt on these allegations, to help avoid actual criminal charges being brought against you. If you have already been charged, we will provide an investigative team to help combat the case of the prosecution. Always consult with our white collar criminal defense attorneys before submitting to any type of questioning by law enforcement, or by representatives from a business or organizations where you worked.
White Collar Crime Cases We Take On
If you are accused of certain white collar crimes, you will likely be charged under Michigan law. However, some cases will find you brought up on federal charges as well. From accusations connected to embezzlement to insurance and healthcare fraud, Grewal Law PLLC will be aggressive in building your defense. We also handle cases involving identity theft, mortgage fraud and tax evasion.
Here are the primary types of white collar crime charges we can help you fight:
- Embezzlement: When accused of embezzlement in Michigan, the value of what was taken determines if you will be charged with a felony or a misdemeanor. Typically, once the value of the money or property reaches over $1,000, you will be facing a felony charge.
- Healthcare and insurance fraud: Under Michigan law, charges related to insurance and healthcare fraud are felonies, as well as Medicare and Medicaid fraud. Anyone convicted of these charges will face up to four years in prison and fines of up to $50,000. Cases revolving around these allegations may also have in-depth investigations which last for years, and your case may even involve federal charges too.
- Identity theft: Identity theft takes place when someone uses another person’s name, Social Security Number, Credit Card Number or other financial information to acquire services, goods, credit cards, loans or other bank accounts that belong to someone else. If convicted of identity theft in Michigan, you could face fines up to $25,000 and up to five years in prison.
- Mortgage fraud: Mortgage fraud charges may be brought against a lender or a borrower, and it occurs when an individual lies or intentionally omits vital information during the mortgage application and approval process. There are both state and federal charges associated with a mortgage fraud case. If convicted, individuals could face prison time with a maximum of 30 years for federal charges and fines up to $1 million dollars.
- Tax evasion: Charges related to tax evasion may be the result of failing to file returns, submitting false returns or compromising tax returns in some other form. Facing allegations of tax fraud can be nerve-wracking and we can provide you with legal counsel to help you during your case.
White Collar Crime Defense Lawyers in Michigan
Charges of fraud, identity theft, and embezzlement can ruin your reputation while having a lifelong impact on your career and your family, making it essential to get legal representation as soon as these allegations are made. At Grewal Law PLLC, our criminal defense lawyers have the experience and knowledge to help you face white collar crime charges. We want to be your guiding counsel throughout the entire process, and our legal counsel will help fight the case brought against you by the prosecution.
Call Grewal Law PLLC at (888) 211-5798 for a free, no-obligation case consultation.