Child Support

When two people create a life, they often fail to think about the other party that will also likely enter their life. No, not the baby. Friend of the Court. Friend of the Court works to ensure that a child has the support from both parents when the parents don’t live together. Friend of the Court’s involvement in parents’ lives isn’t mandatory unless a parent receives state assistance. If a parent doesn’t receive state assistance and both parents are able to work out support for the child amongst themselves, Friend of the Court services doesn’t have to be used.

But unfortunately a lot of parents aren’t able to come to an agreement on support for their child(ren) and require the services of Friend of the Court to determine not only the amount of child support that should be paid to the parent who is the primary caregiver of the child, but also determine who should be the primary caregiver for the child(ren).

Child support is the payment of money for a child that is ordered by the Circuit Court. Child support payments may include payment of expenses for medical, health and dental care, childcare and educational expenses.

Parents or custodians of a child may request Title IV-D child support services. Title IV-D provides assistance in enforcing and collecting child support and medical support even if the non-custodial parent lives in a different state. A parent or custodian can apply for Title IV-D child support services online, complete a paper application or call 1-866-540-0008 to request child support services.

The amount of child support that is to be paid is calculated by using child support guidelines established by the Supreme Court. Child support guidelines considers the time the child spends with each parent as well as the monthly net income of each parent.

If a parent is ordered to pay child support and fails to do so there are several options Friend of the Court can utilize to enforce payment. Such options are: tax refund interception, income withholding, civil contempt, liens on property, credit bureau reporting, driver’s license suspension, passport denial and even felony failure to pay child support charges.

Child support is just that, support for the child. Friend of the Court can’t address all parental issues. If you’re a parent and don’t think that your parental rights are being protected contact a family law attorney.

Children are the future and should be given as many resources to be successful even if that means that a parent has to be court ordered to pay child support. The relationship between parents shouldn’t affect the support of a child. A few minutes of pleasure can create a lifetime connection and commitment that one may or may not want. Those few minutes can create a scenario in which one will have to live with and deal with for at least eighteen years if not a lifetime.

If you have questions about your parental rights, contact our attorneys at Grewal Law PLLC for assistance.

*Disclaimer & legal information: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency, organization, employer, this newspaper or anyone else. This article is for informational purposes only not for the purpose of providing medical or legal advice.

Related Posts
  • Grewal Law Helps Secure $138M Settlement Over FBI Mishandling of Larry Nassar Sex Abuse Investigation Read More
  • How to Interact with Police: What to Do When You Get Pulled Over Read More
  • A Step-By-Step Analysis of Your Lawsuit Part 11: Offers of Judgment Read More