Provisioning Center/Retailer

Provisioning Center and Retailer Licenses in Michigan

Opening a Cannabis Dispensary? Call Today!

Michigan law dictates that marijuana dispensaries and retail centers must have valid licenses in order to sell recreational (adult-use) marijuana to those over 21 years of age or sell products to medical marijuana patients. That means those looking to enter the retail side of Michigan’s cannabis industry and operate a marijuana business will need to obtain a Provisioning Center license before they can start selling any recreational marijuana or marijuana-infused products.

At Grewal Law PLLC, you can count on the experienced attorneys in our cannabis law division to help you navigate the licensing process. We are committed to supporting our local marijuana industry with legal advice to help businesses thrive, and with over 100 years of combined experience at our full-service Michigan law firm, we have the skills and resources to accomplish that goal.

Contact Grewal Law PLLC at (888) 211-5798 to request a consultation.

License Options for Michigan Marijuana Dispensaries

Practically speaking, most marijuana retail establishments will likely need to acquire medical and adult-use licenses for some time, as it can be difficult to get your business off the ground without catering to both sets of consumers. Luckily, the same retail location can sell both medical and recreational marijuana, so long as it has acquired licensing from the Marijuana Regulatory Agency (MRA) for both markets.

With a Provisioning Center license for medical-grade cannabis and a Retailer license for adult-use cannabis, Michigan business owners will be empowered to take advantage of this unique and growing industry. However, it’s important for business owners to keep in mind that inventory for the medical and adult-use markets must be kept and tracked separately.

Provisioning Center Licenses

A Provisioning Center license allows the retail store to sell medical marijuana and medical marijuana-infused products to:

  • Medical Marijuana Patients with valid registry cards; and
  • Medical Marijuana Caregivers with valid registry cards.

To operate a Provisioning Center and be considered eligible for a license, you must pass a two-step qualification process with the MRA, including a background check. You must also meet the required capitalization amounts and pay the application and regulatory assessment fees, which are $6,000 and $44,000 respectively (as of 2020.)

Marijuana Retailer Licenses

A Marijuana Retailer license allows the retail store to sell adult-use marijuana and marijuana-infused products to:

  • Adults age 21 and up with valid government-issued photo ID.

As with the Provisioning Center license, Retailer licenses will require you to pass a qualification process and pay all required fees. Application fees are set at $6,000 and the regulatory assessment fee is $25,000 (as of 2020.)

Committed Advocates for Your Business Needs

As a newly-legalized industry, the cannabis trade is always changing and evolving. No matter what stage of the process you’re in, our cannabis lawyers at Grewal Law PLLC will help you understand your obligations under the law and make the right choice for your business.

We’re here to help! Contact us online today to get started.