John Fraser is an associate attorney with Grewal Law PLLC and leads the firm’s Cannabis Law division. His practice focuses on cannabis law, business law, general litigation, sexual abuse litigation, criminal defense, and appellate law.
John regularly advises and assists entrepreneurs seeking to operate cannabis-related businesses within Michigan’s legal and regulatory framework. He currently serves as the Chairperson of the Cannabis Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. In addition, John is an adjunct professor of law at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School where he teaches a course on Medical Marijuana and the Law. He also regularly lectures and presents on cannabis law topics to attorneys and the community.
John’s practice primarily consists of counseling entrepreneurs, investors, patients, caregivers, municipal governments, and other attorneys on matters of cannabis law. John has been retained to serve as an expert witness and consultant in cases involving cannabis businesses to assist the parties and the court in breaking down and navigating complex cannabis-related legal issues. John focuses his representation by setting clear goals with clients at the outset and then working aggressively and creatively to meet those goals.
John has litigated cases in trial courts throughout the State of Michigan and has argued cases before the Michigan Court of Appeals and the Michigan Supreme Court. John’s litigation skills have been recognized by his peers, as he was named a Top 5 Lawyer Under 35 by the Ingham County Bar Association and was recognized as a Pioneer by the State Bar of Michigan’s Marijuana Law Section for his efforts in the published Michigan Court of Appeals opinion in People v. Manuel.
John earned his Bachelor of Science, cum laude, from Central Michigan University with a double major in Philosophy and Political Science and a minor in English. John graduated from Michigan State University College of Law, summa cum laude, with a 4.0 GPA, ranked first in his class. During law school, John served as a Managing Editor of the Michigan State Law Review and also served as a teaching assistant for Professors Bruce Ching and Philip Pucillo.
In his free time, John enjoys traveling and spending time with his wife, Cheri, and their daughter, Lena. John is a passionate Detroit, CMU, and MSU sports fan and freely admits to being a diehard Detroit Lions fan, despite their seemingly endless struggles. Following his mother’s diagnosis of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s, John has organized a team to participate in the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s yearly event, Walk MS Lansing, to raise money to support multiple sclerosis research.
- John W. Fraser, Recreational Marijuana Legalization in Michigan, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, October 2018, at 20.
- John W. Fraser & Ashlee N. Lynn, Family Law Issues in Medical Marijuana: A Smoky Situation, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, September 2018, at 15.
- John W. Fraser, People v. Manuel, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, May 2017, at 16.
- John W. Fraser, Ain’t Too Proud to Beg? Anti-Begging Laws’ First Amendment Problem, 26 Fla. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y (2015).
- John W. Fraser & Alexander Rusek, Holmes Youthful Trainee Act Amendments Expand Eligibility for Young Adults Charged with Criminal Offenses, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, June 2015, at 23.
Featured Blog Posts
Attorney John Fraser argues case in the Michigan Supreme Court
- Michigan State University College of Law – East Lansing, Michigan
- Juris Doctor, 4.0 GPA, summa cum laude – May 2015
- Jurisprudence Achievement Awards [Highest Grade] in Mortgages; Law & Interpretation; Federal Jurisdiction; Antitrust Law; Copyright Law; Constitutional Law II; Equity; Property; Contracts; and Research, Writing & Analysis
- Michigan State Law Review, Managing Editor
- Central Michigan University – Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
- Bachelor of Science, cum laude, Philosophy and Political Science – May 2011
- Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2020
- State Bar of Michigan
- Ingham County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association – Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Cannabis Law Section, State Bar of Michigan
- American Association for Justice
- Michigan Association for Justice
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- National Cannabis Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana