John Fraser is an associate attorney with Grewal Law PLLC. His practice focuses on marijuana law, general litigation, sexual abuse litigation, criminal defense, and appellate law.
John regularly advises and assists entrepreneurs seeking to operate marijuana-related businesses within Michigan’s regulatory framework. He is the Secretary/Treasurer of the Council for the Marijuana Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. In addition, John is an adjunct professor of law at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School where he teaches a course on Medical Marijuana and the Law. He also regularly lectures and presents on marijuana law topics to attorneys and the community.
John is an experienced advocate for medical marijuana patients and caregivers. He has successfully represented numerous medical marijuana patients and caregivers charged with serious crimes, including cases involving numerous felony charges. John’s knowledge of Michigan’s medical marijuana laws and his courtroom skills have allowed him to help influence the interpretation of the law in the Michigan Court of Appeals and secure favorable results for his clients, including dismissal of all charges.
John is committed to giving each client’s unique legal problem the attention and focus it deserves. This commitment stems from John’s understanding that each client’s legal matter is likely one of the most stressful and difficult situations in his or her life. John will give your legal matter the individualized attention it needs and will ensure that you have a complete understanding of the legal issues surrounding your situation together with a breakdown of all of your options.
John earned his Bachelor of Science, cum laude, from Central Michigan University with a double major in Philosophy and Political Science and a minor in English. John graduated from Michigan State University College of Law, summa cum laude, with a 4.0 GPA, ranked first in his class. During law school, John served as Managing Editor of the Michigan State Law Review and also served as a teaching assistant for Professors Bruce Ching and Philip Pucillo.
In his free time, John enjoys camping, traveling, and spending time with his wife, Cheri. He is a passionate Detroit, CMU, and MSU sports fan and freely admits to being a diehard Detroit Lions fan, despite their seemingly endless struggles. Following his mother’s diagnosis of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s, John has organized a team to participate in the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s yearly event, Walk MS Lansing, to raise money to support multiple sclerosis research.
- John W. Fraser, Recreational Marijuana Legalization in Michigan, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, October 2018, at 20.
- John W. Fraser & Ashlee N. Lynn, Family Law Issues in Medical Marijuana: A Smoky Situation, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, September 2018, at 15.
- John W. Fraser, People v. Manuel, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, May 2017, at 16.
- John W. Fraser, Ain’t Too Proud to Beg? Anti-Begging Laws’ First Amendment Problem, 26 Fla. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y (2015).
- John W. Fraser & Alexander Rusek, Holmes Youthful Trainee Act Amendments Expand Eligibility for Young Adults Charged with Criminal Offenses, Ingham County Bar Association BRIEFS, June 2015, at 23.
Michigan State University College of Law – East Lansing, Michigan
- Juris Doctor, 4.0 GPA, summa cum laude – May 2015
- Jurisprudence Achievement Awards [Highest Grade] in Mortgages; Law & Interpretation; Federal Jurisdiction; Antitrust Law; Copyright Law; Constitutional Law II; Equity; Property; Contracts; and Research, Writing & Analysis
- Michigan State Law Review, Managing Editor
Central Michigan University – Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
- Bachelor of Science, cum laude, Philosophy and Political Science – May 2011
- State Bar of Michigan
- Ingham County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association – Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Marijuana Law Section, State Bar of Michigan
- American Association for Justice
- Michigan Association for Justice
Community Involvement & Awards
- Volunteer Judge – 1L RWA Oral Arguments, Michigan State University College of Law (2016-present).
- Volunteer Judge – Moot Court Class Oral Advocacy Competition, Michigan State University College of Law (2015-present).
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Team Captain of Team Fraser for Walk MS Lansing (2013-Present).
- Featured Professor on Marijuana Law – People’s Law School
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
I would take any future legal issues to them without hesitation.
The team he works with at Grewal are also people of integrity, with a diverse array of special qualifications for really any legal need.
The service from this company is fantastic. It is a team that will represent you well.
Superbly organized and always cordial, the assistants at the firm made the process go as smoothly as one could possibly expect.
It was reassuring to know that the firm took my family’s predicament seriously and made every effort to resolve what could have been a long ordeal.
Aaron & Virgie M.
We always felt everything we shared was taken seriously and that what we had to say was of utmost importance.
Michael & Jessica