Michigan roads can be extremely treacherous during the winter months. As the snow approaches, review these important tips provided by the Michigan Department of Transportation:
- Slow down when you see or suspect ice or snow.
- Bridges and underpasses can be icy, even when the road around them is dry.
- Avoid sudden stops, turns, or lane changes.
- Road salt is less effective between 10 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and completely ineffective below 10 degrees.
- When slush appears stiff and is thrown directly behind the vehicle (rather than splashed to the side), icy conditions are likely to develop.
You should also have your car checked and winterized by a qualified mechanic, and always have plenty of gas in the tank before heading out.
By keeping these few points in mind, you can help keep our roadways safe for everyone.