In April, 63 Sparrow Health System locations were denied preliminary accreditation by the Joint Commission (which accredits more than 21,000 health care organizations and programs).
Some of the citations Sparrow received include failure to properly:
- Label medicines
- Identify individuals at risk for suicide
- Perform a time-out before surgery, where everyone in the room stops to double check that the procedure, patient and location of incision are correct
- Allocate needed resources for the infection prevention and control program
- Assess and reassess patients
- Manage patients' risk for falls
Due to these problems, accreditors found that Sparrow posed a “threat to patients” with its care, according to the quality report.
Sparrow corrected all the problems and eventually, all locations did receive accreditation.
LAWSUITS AGAINST SPARROW HOSPITAL
Grewal Law has taken on numerous cases against Sparrow Hospital. With medical mistakes being the third leading cause of death in the United States, we are passionate about holding hospitals and their staff accountable for mistakes.
Listed below are some of the areas of negligence we have seen at Sparrow Hospital:
- Failure to promptly or emergently deliver a baby who was in distress, causing the baby to suffer oxygen deprivation and brain injury – and receive diagnoses of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), seizure disorder and cerebral palsy;
- Using improper prep the clean the skin area before giving an injection into the facet joint of the spine, resulting in the patient developing spinal infection and meningitis, which caused permanent brain injury;
- Failure to recognize compartment syndrome in a patient’s arm, resulting in permanent nerve damage and loss of use of the arm;
- Giving a child with a problematic tracheostomy tube a strong sedative and a paralytic, resulting in breathing cessation in the child and the staff having no immediate way to give the child breaths (part of CPR) since air could not go through his trach tube. The staff was unable to establish a patent airway in the child for over 30 minutes (while he was “coding”), and the little boy suffered severe brain injury caused by oxygen deprivation.
THE GREWAL MEDICAL MALPRACTICE TEAM IS HERE TO HELP
These are just a few of the many types of medical malpractice cases that the attorneys at Grewal Law handle. The Grewal Law medical malpractice attorneys are passionate about holding hospitals, medical centers, clinics, and pharmacies – as well as their healthcare workers – responsible for negligent actions that cause harm to patients.
Grewal Law has built a strong record of success in medical malpractice, birth trauma, and personal injury lawsuits. The firm’s attorneys have obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for their clients. The firm’s medical malpractice team includes a medical doctor, several attorneys with decades of medical malpractice experience, a nurse, a respiratory therapist, a paramedic and a pharmacist.
Scott Weidenfeller is an award-winning attorney who is an executive board member of the Michigan Association for Justice. He has obtained millions of dollars for his clients and has had some of the highest medical malpractice settlements and verdicts in Michigan.
If you believe that you or a family member was a victim of medical malpractice, please contact our team of experienced medical malpractice lawyers. When Grewal Law represents you, there is never a fee unless we recover money for your case. The Grewal law medical malpractice attorneys are licensed in Michigan, Florida and Arizona, and are available 24/7 to speak with you.