Northville Birth Injury Attorneys
Compassionate & Skilled Legal Representation for Victims of Birth Injuries
There is nothing more terrifying than the thought of your child being born with a birth injury. When your child is injured during the birthing process, the trauma can extend to the whole family. The child may require a lifetime of medical care, and the family may be burdened with the costs of that care.
At Grewal Law PLLC, we understand the physical and emotional devastation that a birth injury can cause. Our team of Michigan birth injury lawyers is dedicated to helping families throughout the state recover the compensation they need to care for their injured child.
If your child has suffered a birth injury, you do not have to face this difficult time alone. Call us today at (888) 211-5798 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our Northville birth injury lawyers.
What Causes Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries are typically caused by complications and difficulties during the birthing process. Most of these complications are unavoidable, but some are caused by the negligence of the medical professionals involved in the delivery.
Our Northville birth injury attorneys can help you determine if your child’s birth injury was caused by medical negligence. We will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your child’s birth to determine if the medical professionals involved acted properly.
Medical negligence can cause birth injuries in several ways, including:
- Failure to diagnose and treat medical conditions in the mother: Many birth injuries are caused by medical conditions in the mother, such as high blood pressure or gestational diabetes. If these conditions are not diagnosed and treated, they can cause complications during the birthing process that result in injuries to the child.
- Failure to order a C-section when necessary: Some deliveries are too risky to be done vaginally. In these cases, a C-section must be performed. If a C-section is not performed when necessary, the child may suffer a birth injury.
- Improper use of birth-assisting tools: Sometimes, a vacuum or forceps are used to help deliver a baby. These tools must be used properly to avoid causing injury to the child. If the doctor uses them improperly, the child may suffer a birth injury.
- Failure to respond to signs of fetal distress: When a baby is in distress, medical professionals need to respond quickly to address the issue. If they fail to do so, the baby may suffer a birth injury.
What Are the Most Common Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries can range from mild to severe, and they can have lifelong consequences. Some of the most common types of birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy: This condition is caused by damage to the brain and can cause a loss of muscle control, muscle weakness, and developmental delays.
- Erb’s palsy: This condition is caused by damage to the nerves in the shoulder and can cause weakness or loss of motion in the arm.
- Brachial plexus injuries: This is a type of nerve damage that can cause a loss of feeling or movement in the shoulder, arm, or hand.
- Perinatal asphyxia: This occurs when the baby does not receive enough oxygen. It can cause a range of symptoms, including seizures, a slow heart rate, and difficulty breathing.
- Bone fractures: A newborn’s bones are very fragile and can be broken during the birthing process.
How Long Do You Have to Sue for a Birth Injury in Michigan?
In most cases, you have until your child’s 19th birthday to file a birth injury lawsuit in Michigan. However, if the injured child is mentally incapacitated, the statute of limitations may be tolled, or paused, until they regain their mental capacity.
It is important to note that if a birth injury lawsuit is being filed on behalf of the mother, the standard two-year statute of limitations for medical malpractice lawsuits will apply. This is because mothers are not considered legally incapacitated by giving birth and can file a lawsuit on their behalf.
How Our Northville Birth Injury Lawyers Can Help
Our Northville birth injury attorneys understand the emotional and financial toll that a birth injury can take on a family. We are committed to helping your family recover the compensation you need to care for your child.
Our firm will handle every aspect of your birth injury case. We will collect all of the evidence necessary to prove that your child’s injury was caused by medical negligence. We will calculate the full extent of your child’s medical expenses and other damages, and we will fight to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Our Northville birth injury attorneys are dedicated to providing you and your family with the compassionate and personalized legal representation you deserve. We will work directly with you throughout your case, and we are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns.
Our Northville birth injury lawyers will fight to recover the maximum compensation you need to care for your child. Call us today at (888) 211-5798 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.