Behind on Your Child Support? Don’t Expect a Stimulus Check


Last week, Congress passed a $3 trillion package to aid American citizens and companies during the COVID-19 pandemic, called the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security or CARES Act. As more and more Americans find themselves with reduced incomes or without incomes at all, individual stimulus checks up to $1200 are aimed to provide some relief.

There has been lots of news coverage regarding the amount of money individuals and families can expect, and our legal team has already covered this topic on our Legal Examiner blog, which you can read here. There are also other forms of relief, such as unemployment benefits, that some folks may be entitled to at this time (for an update on self-employed and gig-economy workers, check out the latest information here).

What hasn’t been widely publicized, however, is that some individuals may not be entitled to receive a stimulus check at all. For example, those who are behind on student loan payments – or who owe back taxes – will still receive their checks from the federal government. But those owing past due child support should not expect to receive a stimulus check. Those who are delinquent and carry arrearages appear to be the only class of people excluded from the program who would otherwise be eligible.

At Grewal Law PLLC, we’ve had some folks ask whether the check will be applied to the arrears owed, which normally happens when federal tax returns are seized from a parent owing child support – and the answer to this remains to be seen. We will update this blog as more information on this becomes available.

In the meantime, if you need help collecting child support or past due spousal support and have opted out of Friend of the Court, please contact one of our experienced family law attorneys to assist. Likewise, if you are a parent who is struggling to make your child support payments on time and have accumulated arrears, please call our offices to ensure you are not being overcharged beyond your fair share.

For more information, contact our team today at (888) 211-5798. We offer free consultations.

Follow Us